Empowered Communities’ Foster Climate Resilient and Climate Adaptive Agriculture and Livelihoods – PHASE II
Project Period :-
1st January 2019 – 31st December 2020
Target Areas :-
District – Nadia & Murshidabad
Block : –
Nakashipara, Sagardighi, Kandi
Nadia : Nakashipara, Majergram, Bikrampur.
Murshidabad : Sagardighi, Balia, Gokorna-II.
Palashdanga, Dhakapara, Akundanga, kulepota, Kubernagar, Narayanpur, Basudevpure, .Baidyanathpur,.Nischintopur, Madhupur, Charsultanpur, Arpara (E), Arpara (W), Satyapur, Iswarbati,Harhari, Satgacchia, Baganpara, Dighipahar,Bangsia, Mahisasur, Gobarhati, Pantanda, Notungram,chatra.
BACKGROUND AND JUSTIFICATION :-
The current program was initially started with Rights based approach and Result based management method. The program focused a lot on Rights and entitlement, Livelihood and local partners’ institutional capacity building. Though conscientisation and animating people for community mobilization was our overall approach, year 2 (2015-16) of the current program, we have made effort to understand People led development concept from Misereor.
Caritas India realized that, among many other reasons, climate change and variation is one of the major causes of the distress of farmers. In order to protect the farmers in India, this program promotes integrated development approaches through mobilizing the community and promoting community managed actions. It puts the aspirations and needs of those who produce, distribute and consume food at the heart of food systems and policies rather than the demands of markets and corporations.
This current program will look into the aspects of:
- Promoting local seed varieties which would be used in varying climate scenarios like early sowing varieties, late sowing varieties, short duration varieties etc.
- Water harvesting, and conservation is helping farmers to provide lifesaving irrigation to their crop.
- Integrated pest and nutrient management practices are helping communities to overcome the problems of pests and insects that are also increasing due to climate change.
- Improved leadership capacities of farmers and community-based units are also helping increase their advocacy and access to their rights and facilities from the Govt.
- 745 poor households of 25 Villages are able to nourish themselves always, even in times of crisis of food
- Food and Livelihood Security is expanded through promoting Climate Resilient Agriculture and Livelihoods
- Framers’ and wage laborer’s organizations (Farmers’ Producer organizations) make use of the possibilities for participation and greater involvement in existing social programme.
- Community groups/committees/organizations of 25 villages have increased ownership and support management of village level governance and administration.
The proposed intervention is intended to foster and strengthen people’s institutions that will eventually lead to the empowerment of communities and sustained the process.
- Participatory decision-making vis-à-vis rights and entitlements/local governance.
- Climate resilient agriculture and sustainable livelihoods that will lead to water governance and food sovereignty and security.
- Community based organization/groups for safeguarding the rights of the communities.